I. Why is the Climate Changing?
Languages of chemistry: Macroscopic, atomic/molecular, and symbolic
How much is the climate changing?
How much does air weigh?
How are gas volume and pressure related?
How are gas volume and temperature related?
How are the atoms connected within atmospheric gas molecules?
What are the shapes of atmospheric gas molecules?
Which gases absorb infrared waves?
What are the sources and sinks of greenhouse gases?
What do atmospheric concentrations tell us?
Gas Concentrations, Global Warming Potential, and Atmospheric Lifetime (table, jsmol, Movies)
Oxygen Concentrations (Scripps)
Sources and Sinks (Figures)
Methane Supercharges Climate Change, Living on Earth, September 2022 (Audio)
Methane, The Other Important Greenhouse Gas, C&E News, October 25, 2021 (pdf)
Cows and methane (Video)
Permafrost and methane (Video)
No laughing matter: nitrous oxide - another climate enemy (Video)
Are we stuck with cement? (link to The Outline, June 2018)
What happens when you breathe into water?
How do we balance the source and sink equations?
How much do sources and sinks contribute to rising greenhouse gas concentrations?
Which recipe gives the most precipitate?
How much carbon dioxide do you exhale in a year?
What are your personal contributions to CO2 emissions?
II. Food and Fuel: Which Energy Sources Should We Use?
How do chemists represent the structure of molecules?
How much heat is released upon fuel combustion?
Why do we make so much CO2?
What functional groups are in foods?
Which household chemicals react the same way?
Can "like-attracts-like" be used to rank polarity?
How are functional groups, molecular sizes, and boiling points related?
What is Hydraulic Fracturing?
Synthesis and Analysis: Is my Aspirin Pure?
III. What Changes Can We Make to Decrease Environmental Impact?
Why have metals been used through the ages? (Logan Museum)
Lab: How well do different materials conduct heat?
What are the three ways we make light? How should we make light?
Reading Groups: AGMN, BHMO, CIMP, DJMQ, EKMR, FLMS (pdf)
Earlier articles do a better job explaining but remember to watch dates for the readings, especially when considering prices.
- "A brilliant new approach," The Economist, March 19, 2009
- "Green Promise Seen in Switch to LED Lighting," The New York Times, May 30, 2009
- "Europe's Ban on Old-Style Bulbs Begins," The New York Times, September 1, 2009
- "Tiny semiconductor crystals, called quantum dots, enable new forms of energy-efficient lighting," The Economist, March 4, 2010
- "LED Lighting: Blue + Yellow = White" and "The Light bulb that really is a better idea," IEEE Spectrum, January 2011
- "Seeing the Light: LED technology moves into the mainstream and delivers improved efficiencies," Signage Solutions, Nov/Dec 2011
- "What it takes to change all the street lights in New York City," Greenbiz, April 17, 2013 and October 29, 2013
- "This Little LED of Mine," The New York Times, November 2, 2013
- "Efficient, useful blue-light LED draws Nobel Prize in physics," CNET, October 7, 2014
- "Benefits and Disadvantages of LED Lighting," LED Technology, 2012, and Luminanz Ltd, 2011, and Pulse, 2015
- "Science advances in matching LED lighting to horticultural needs ," LEDs Magazine, 20 Sept 2016
- "LED Streetlights Are Giving Neighborhoods the Blues," IEEE Spectrum, 22 Sept 2016
- "The search for better white light," C&E News, November 19, 2018
- "America's Light Bulb Revolution," The New York Times, March 8, 2019
- "Household lighting consumption driven by bulb choice and bulb count," U.S. Energy Information Administration, February 25, 2019
- "White House to Relax Energy Efficiency Rules for Light Bulbs," The New York Times, September 4, 2019
- "The History of Lighting," Traditional Building, May 13, 2020
- "Biden flips the switch on Trump's incandescent light bulb plan," CNN, April 26, 2022
- "LED Basics," US Department of Energy
How can you identify different sources of light?
Which elements in the periodic table are metals?
What is the net ionic equation?
Lab Data (Movies). You will need your data sheet.
How can we represent solids?
How are structure and properties of solids related?
What controls the properties of elements?
How can you get a specific color of light from a solid LED?
Periodic Properties and LEDs
Project Design: Is my soil contaminated? Lead in soil
Is my soil contaminated? Lead in soil
Environmental & Climate Justice
What is Environmental Justice? 2017 (Video)
Environmental and Climate Justice, link to NAACP
The rise of environmental justice, C&E News, August 24, 2020 (pdf)
Diversity, Inclusion & Respect, link to American Chemical Society
Climate Change: Global Inequalities and Poverty, 2017 (pdf)
Race and Climate Change, 2017 (pdf)
Climate Change in Illinois, WNIJ, October 15, 2020 (audio)
Ban Ki-moon, Energy for all, June 2012 (audio)
Mario Molina, Nobel Prize Inspiration Initiative, April 2018 (hour video) youtube
The Climate Crisis - Health and Care Delivery, link to New England Journal of Medicine
This page last modified January 20, 2023
Link to this page