100-LEVEL CHEMISTRY GOALS
INTELLIGENCE "a general mental capability that involves the ability to think abstractly, comprehend ideas and language, learn, plan, reason and solve problems."
LIBERAL ARTS INTELLIGENCE "the ability to relate different unconnected pieces of information in new ways and to apply the results in an adaptive manner."
source: Human, the science behind what makes us unique, M. S. Gazzaniga, HarperCollins, 2008, NY
Primary teaching goals for Chemistry 127: Biochemical Issues labs:
1. To develop enthusiasm in students. To have them enjoy being scientists
2. To encourage curiosity in students
3. To have students pose sensible, testable hypotheses
4. To have students design their own experiments to test their hypotheses
5. To use a lab manual like a practicing scientist does; and to be able to communicate results effectively in oral and written formats
6. To gain technological confidence
7. To understand Chem Dept. language: macroscopic, microscopic, symbolic
8. Develop cooperation with others in doing research, brainstorming and encouraging others to help and be helped
9. Becoming comfortable with quantitative analysis
10. Being aware how to be safe in the lab